In our business at Du Vin Crush, we work with winemakers primarily in Paso Robles. In honor of this great region, we wanted to share some fun facts about the area:
- There are 40,000 vineyard acres in the region
- The region is quite large – 35 miles from east to west; 25 miles from north to south
- There are over 200 wineries in the Paso Robles region growing over 40 varieties of grapes.
- The terroir of Paso Robles is similar to that in Rhone region of France. This offers ideal conditions for growing grapes such as Syrah, Grenache, and Mouvedre.
- This region offers optimal growing conditions for making premium and ultra-premium wines
- Soil conditions are different from other California wine growing regions. There are high amounts of calcareous shale with a high ph. The pH affects flavor, aroma, color, tartrate precipitation, carbon dioxide absorption, malolactic fermentation, stability, age-ability, and fermentation rate.
- Located halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, it is a perfect place to visit.
Contact Du Vin Crush today if you are looking for some great winery recommendations in this great Central Coast area!